Saved a recipe but wish you could make a few changes? Need to substitute ingredients to make a recipe work for your dietary restrictions? Not only can you create your own recipes with Whisk’s Recipe Builder, but you can also easily edit your saved recipes to fit your needs. Add ingredients, modify the serving size, change the picture, include helpful tips, and more. Here’s how you can use Recipe Builder to make your saved recipes work for you:
How to Edit Your Saved Recipes
1. Navigate to your Whisk Recipe Box. Tap the Saved icon at the bottom of the screen.
2. Find and tap the recipe you’d like to edit. Tap the pencil icon at the top of the screen to start editing.
- Alternatively, find the recipe in your Recipe Box that you’d like to edit and tap the three dots in the bottom right corner of the recipe card. Select Edit recipe from the menu.
3. You’ll be redirected to the Recipe Builder where you can now edit the recipe.
4. In Recipe Builder, you can edit any of the recipe details, including:
- Title: Edit the recipe’s name
- Source: Tap the Edit source button to change or remove the source name and source URL
- Add Photo: Tap the Change image button to upload your own photo of the recipe
- Description: Modify or add a brief description to the recipe. You can add your own helpful tips, serving size suggestions, or any other notes you might like to jot down about the recipe.
- Ingredients: Each ingredient will be listed. You have the option to edit, remove, add, and reorder ingredients. You can also add section headers to the ingredient list by pressing + Header and typing in a header name.
- Instructions: Step-by-step instructions will be listed. You can edit, add, or remove certain steps.
- Servings: Modify or add the number of servings the recipe yields (i.e. 6 servings)
- Prep time: Modify or add how long it takes to prep ingredients in minutes or hours (i.e. 10 minutes)
- Cook time: Modify or add how long it takes to cook the recipe in minutes or hours (i.e. 5 minutes)
- Collection: Use the menu to add the recipe to a collection or move it to a new collection.
5. Click Save and all of your edits will be saved!
How to Edit Your Ingredient List or Instruction Steps
How to Add Multiple Ingredients or Steps at Once
If you want to add multiple, additional ingredients or instruction steps at once and already have them typed up in an email or document on your device, simply copy all of the additional ingredients or steps and paste them all at once into the blank text box. The Recipe Builder will automatically separate each ingredient or step onto separate lines.
To see how it works, try copying and pasting the following list of ingredients into the blank text box under Ingredients.
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
The same can be done for the list of steps. Try copying and pasting the following instructions into the text box under Instructions.
- Place leftovers in a freezer bag.
- Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How to Edit an Ingredient Name or Instruction Step
- To edit ingredient names, simply tap the ingredient name and begin modifying the text
- Then, click anywhere outside of the text box to see your result
Note: If the image the ingredient is not recognized (see icon example), you may have misspelled it so edit it until it is recognized.
On the rare occasion, you may have entered an ingredient that is not currently in our food graph. You can report this from the recipe page by selecting the menu from the three dots in the upper right corner, selecting Leave Feedback and then Issue with ingredients
How to Remove an Ingredient or Instruction Step
- To remove an ingredient or instruction step, tap the ingredient name or step and then click the “X” that appears in the text box
- The ingredient or step will then be removed from the list
How to Add an Ingredient or Instruction Step
- To add an ingredient or instruction step, click within the text box at the end of the ingredient or list or steps and enter the ingredient or step you'd like to add
- A new line will automatically appear if you’d like to add additional ingredients or steps
How to Reorder Ingredients or Instruction Steps
- To reorder ingredients or instruction steps, select the Edit button next to the top of the ingredient section
- Click the hamburger icon and drag and drop the ingredient within the ingredient list or steps
How to Add Section Headers to Your Ingredient List
- To add section headers to your ingredient list, press + Header at the bottom of the ingredient list
- Enter a name for your header
- You can move the section header by selecting the Edit button next to the top of the ingredient section
- Then, use the hamburger icon to drag and drop the header within the ingredient list