Communities are collaborative spaces where anyone can share their favorite recipes with all Whisk users, or just with their close circle. You can create a community around your blog, Instagram, TikTok, or Youtube channel so you can provide your audience with an easy way to find your recipes and share their own. Plus, your recipes can get discovered by a whole new audience of avid home cooks on Whisk.
Learn more about how to get started creating and managing your own Whisk Community as a recipe creator. Click on a header below to jump to a specific section:
Create Your Whisk Community
Create a private or public community, add recipes you've saved or built within Whisk, and share your community with your audience.
How to create your community:
1. From the Home tab, click the + icon in the bottom right corner of the screen (or the + Add button on desktop)
2. Click Create Community
3. Choose whether you'd like to create a private or public community
4. A new window will appear prompting you to enter information about the community you’d like to create
- Community name: Create a name for your community. This cannot be edited later.
- Cover photo: Add a cover photo for your community.
- Description (optional): Provide a brief description of what you community is all about.
- Category: Select a relevant category from the dropdown. Plus, send an email to email@example.com if you'd like Whisk to consider you for our Featured Recipe Creators section.
- Permissions: Choose whether your community is public or private. Public communities are visible and discoverable on the Whisk Home tab and anyone can join. Private communities are hidden and not discoverable by other Whisk users unless invited to join by an admin.
- Permissions: Choose whether anyone can post recipes to your community or if only admins will be allowed to post to your community.
- Web & Social (optional): Add links to your website and social profiles, including Instagram, YouTube, and TikTok.
5. Press Create
6. A confirmation pop up will appear and you'll be redirected to your saved recipes with the option to add recipes to your community. You can search and select multiple recipes or skip this step for now. Press Skip if you'd like to skip this step.
7. Next, you'll have the option to invite others to join your community. You can enter an email address, copy a link, or share your community through text message, Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, and more. Press Skip if you'd like to skip this step. Don't worry, you'll still be able to invite people and post your link after your community is created.
8. Your community is live! You’ll be redirected to your community page. You'll now see your community appear in your “My communities” section under the Communities tab.
How to add recipes to your community:
1. From your community’s page, click the + icon in the bottom right corner of the screen
2. To share an existing recipe with the Community, select Add saved recipes. A list of your saved recipes will appear. Haven’t saved any recipes? Learn how to save recipes to your Recipe Box.
3. Click the recipe you’d like to add, then press the Add button at the bottom of the screen. You can search, filter, and sort to find the recipe you're looking for. You can also select multiple recipes to add them all at once.
4. To share a new recipe with the community, select Create new recipe. The Recipe Builder will appear where you can add details about your recipe. Learn how to build your own recipes with Recipe Builder. Click Save.
5. Once you’ve added a new or existing recipe, your recipe will appear in the recipe feed on your community’s page.
How to share your community with your audience:
1. From your community’s page, click the Invite button in the top right corner of the screen
2. You’ll then see several ways in which you can share your community
3. You’ll have the option to invite individuals by name or email, copy a direct link to your community, or share your community through social media
Content Creator Tip: Your Community is a great way to share all your recipes with your audience. Copy your Invite link and add it to your social media profiles, your website, your videos—anywhere you'd like people to be able to view, save, cook, or meal plan your recipes. Your Community gives your audience all the tools they need to be able to take action on your recipes.
How to view community engagement:
1. From your community’s page, you can view community engagement just below your community’s name or description (if you’ve included one)
2. You can see how many members are a part of your community, as well as how many recipes have been added to your community
Managing Your Community
Edit your community, manage private community members, and designate admins to help you manage your community.
How to edit your community:
1. From your community's page, tap the three dots in the top right corner of the screen
2. Select Edit community
3. From here, you can update your community's cover photo, modify the description or category, change permissions, and update your website or social links
4. Once you've made your updates, press Save in the top right corner
How to manage private community members:
1. For private communities, community owners and admins can manage members by approving, removing, blocking, or reporting members
2. Navigate to your community and click on the member count listed below the community description
- Note: A red dot will appear next to the member count if there are members pending approval
3. A list of members will appear
4. When you click on a member, you have the option to approve or reject a member's request to join, make a member an admin, remove a member from the community, and block or report an individual or member
How to designate an admin for your community:
1. To designate an admin, the individual will have to already be a member of your community or you'll have to invite them to become a member
2. Once they're a member, from your community page, tap the member count
3. Find the individual in your member list and tap their name
4. From the menu, select Make admin
5. Then, confirm by pressing Yes
6. The admin will now have the ability to remove or block members and remove posts from the community
Add Your Recipes to Whisk
Add, create, and edit your recipes all in one place. Save recipes from your computer or phone and even build your own.
How to save recipes to your Recipe Box:
To add recipes by URL:
1. Tap Recipes at the bottom of the screen
2. Click the + icon in the bottom right and select Save recipe link from the menu that appears
3. Type or paste the URL into the text box, then press Save. Your recipe will then be saved to your Recipe Box.
To add recipes from your computer:
1. Select Recipes from the top menu
2. Click the + Add button and select Install browser extension from the menu that appears. You’ll be redirected to install the Chrome browser extension.
3. When you’ve found a recipe you’d like to save, simply click the Whisk Chrome extension button in the top right corner of your browser and a pop up will appear. Click Save recipe.
4. To view your recipes, click View my recipes and you’ll be taken to your Whisk Recipe Box
To add recipes from the mobile app:
2. Then, press Whisk. You’ll be redirected to a new window displaying the recipe. Press Save recipe. You can then view your newly saved recipe on Whisk.
How to modify existing recipes:
1. Navigate to your saved recipes by tapping Recipes at the bottom of your screen
2. Click into the recipe you’d like to edit. Then, click the pencil icon in the top right corner.
3. You’ll be redirected to the Recipe Builder where you can now edit the recipe.
4. In Recipe Builder, you can edit any of the recipe details, including:
- Title: Edit the recipe’s name
- Source: Tap the Edit source button to change the source name and source URL
- Add Photo: Tap the pencil icon in the bottom right corner of the image to upload your own photo of the recipe
- Description: Modify or add a brief description to the recipe. You can add your own helpful tips, serving size suggestions, or any other notes you might like to jot down about the recipe.
- Ingredients: Each ingredient will be listed. You have the option to edit, remove, add, and reorder ingredients. You can also add section headers to the ingredient list by pressing + Header and typing in a header name. Tap the ingredient to edit. Select Edit to remove or reorder ingredients. Use the text box at the end of the list to add ingredients.
- Instructions: Step-by-step instructions will be listed. You can edit, add, or remove certain steps.
- Servings: Modify or add the number of servings the recipe yields (i.e. 6 servings)
- Prep time: Modify or add how long it takes to prep ingredients in minutes or hours (i.e. 10 minutes)
- Cook time: Modify or add how long it takes to cook the recipe in minutes or hours (i.e. 5 minutes)
- Collection: Use the menu to add the recipe to a collection or move it to a new collection
5. Click Save and all of your edits will be saved!
How to build your own recipes:
1. Navigate to your saved recipes by tapping Recipes at the bottom of the screen
2. Click the + icon in the bottom right of your screen and select Create new recipe from the menu that appears
3. You’ll be redirected to a new window where you can fill in all the details about your recipe
- Title: Give your recipe a name (try something like “Classic Guacamole”)
- Add source: Add a URL or link to your recipe if you have one. You can also add a source name for the URL. For instance, if it’s linked to your own food blog, you might add your blog’s name.
- Add Photo: If you have a photo of your recipe, you can upload it here
- Description: Add a brief description of your recipe, notes, helpful tips, serving size suggestions, or anything else you might like to jot down about your recipe.
- Ingredients: Add each ingredient in your recipe. Start by adding your first ingredient in the text box–a new line will automatically appear for you to add the next ingredient. To save time, you can copy and paste multiple ingredients at once. You also have the option to add section headers to the ingredient list by pressing + Header and typing in a header name.
- Instructions: Begin adding recipe instructions one step at a time–a new line will automatically appear for you to add the next step. You can also copy and paste multiple instruction steps at once.
- Servings: Add the number of servings your recipe yields (i.e. 6 servings)
- Prep time: Add how long it takes to prep ingredients in minutes or hours (i.e. 10 minutes)
- Cook time: Add how long it takes to cook the recipe in minutes or hours (i.e. 5 minutes)
- Collection: If you want to add your recipe to a collection, use the dropdown to add your recipe to an existing collection or create a new collection for this recipe.
4. Click Save and you’ll be redirected to your new recipe!
Have any questions we didn't answer? Reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know what we can help you with!